Thursday, May 6, 2010

Watermelon Feta Salad!

Thanks to Laurie Welty, PE4life Administrative Assistant, for submitting this recipe!

It happens every summer….fresh produce is in abundance and I can’t help myself.  I load up on all the great fruits and vegetables that are not as fresh as in the winter months.  I volunteer in a community garden, have a small patio garden and love the farmers markets in Kansas City, MO and Overland Park, KS.  

The big question - what to do with the extra watermelon left over after having some at a cookout or for dessert?  I found an amazing recipe for Watermelon Feta Salad.  I know….I was a bit skeptical at first as well.  As I read the list of ingredients, I found that I liked them all.  So, I gave it a try one day last summer and it was fabulous!  It is refreshing, quick to prepare, and no cooking needed.  I would love to know what you think.

Watermelon Feta Salad:
1.    Cut a small red onion into bite size strips and place in a small bowl with the juice of two limes
2.    Cut half a watermelon into one inch cubes and de-seed
3.    Combine watermelon and 1 cup feta cheese in a separate larger salad bowl
4.    Add large sprigs of parsley and a handful of chopped mint
5.    Pour onions along with the juice into the salad bowl
6.    Add olive oil to taste and about ¼ cup of pitted Kalamata olives
7.    Season salad with a dash of freshly ground pepper and toss lightly
8.    Enjoy!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

YUM! I'm going to make this for a Mother's Day cookout I'm hosting this weekend!