Michelle Obama did it just a few weeks ago. Martha Stewart is famous for doing it. My dad does it every year. What am I talking about? Planting a garden, of course!
Here’s why you should do it:
· Still holding a grudge against Mother Nature for the harsh winter? What better way to get back at her than digging up her precious Earth.
· Planting a garden can actually be quite the workout, so switch out the gym for the dirt, just this once.
· Have a picky eater in your family? Get them involved! Kids will be more open to eating healthy foods if they had a hand in creating them.
· If you know you have $20.00 worth of fruits and vegetables in your back yard that will rot in X number of days, you’re far more likely to eat them.
· We all know that in most cases, eating unhealthy costs less than eating healthy. Growing your own fruits and vegetables can save you money. In some cases, lots of it. I think everyone can appreciate that!
· How often do you get outdoors and in touch with nature? I know I don’t do it nearly as often as I’d like. There’s something about spending time with nature that is very rewarding and humbling. So do it!
Still not convinced? Check out these websites, where people are far more persuasive than I am:
Okay, so you’re on board with the homegrown veggies. Now, how the heck do you get started? I could rattle on and on about how I think a garden should be planted. But, why take it from me when there are so many experts out there? Check ‘em out!
Now that you have the whys and the hows, it’s time to get started! So, get out there and get filthy! Your backyard, your body, and your budget will appreciate it!