Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Excuses, Excuses

Welcoming back guest blogger: Tim McCord, PE4life Academy Director, Titusville Area School District, Titusville, PA

In the last ten years our school district has hosted numerous teachers, administrators, and parents all looking for ways to take PE4life's Core Principles integrated into our physical education program in Titusville, PA and implement them into their existing program. It has been an interesting experience and one in which many new friends and networking buddies have been made.

As I conduct the PE4life workshops I am often taken aback by the “excuse making” that I meet. Trust me when I say the excuses are many and usually universal in nature. Here are just a few.

“We can’t do that at our school.”
“We don’t have the money for those types of things.”
“My principal would never support that.”

Sound familiar? In addition to the excuses I would be remiss if I did not mention how often I hear the phrase “what if…” usually followed by something along the line of “the students refuse to do that.”

Up to this point you may have thought I was going to throw these “excuse makers” and “what if” people under the bus. Not so. Instead I am going to give them a little McCord family advice.

You see, from the time I was a little tot (for those that know me, some will say I am still a little tot in stature…just a lot older), my dear mother would frequently offer her musings when I met with frustration. Mom would tell me, “Can’t never did anything until Try showed him how.” If I only had a nickel for every time I have heard that phrase from Mom. And now, I would like to pass it along to every teacher who tries to improve the physical education program in their school.

Sure, you are going to meet roadblocks and stumble along the way. But, how much progress would you have made if you had never tried at all?

There is no better time than the present to be a physical educator. The spotlight is shining upon us. Research has shown the importance of our profession. Children suffering from obesity need our help. Our First Lady has jumped on board to offer her help.

If you are a physical educator looking to make changes in your program, take advantage of everything available to you and make the first step toward a quality PE program. Network with your colleagues. Investigate the latest research as to the connection of fitness and academics. Get involved with PE4life through their newsletter, attend an event or sign up for Program Support Services to learn the latest trends in PE.


And most of all, heed the advice of Mother McCord. Don’t let the “I Can’t” creep into your thinking. Take the first step towards quality physical education in your school district. Just give it a TRY.

"Can't never did anything until TRY showed him how." -- Mother McCord

No comments: